Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why Do I Think COSPLAY is SHIT?

I don't know why, but I keep on pondering about a question given to me by my friends just before we went to a Haloween Vacation.  The question goes something like this, "If I think Cosplay is nonsense, then what do I call my hobby (which is writing graphic novels manga-style)?".  Honestly, throughout the vacation I kept on pondering of what word should I use for my answer, for I felt deeply offended when my close friends even had the stomach of comparing the two.

Now, however, I can finally say that I've found the correct word to answer them.  The word is PERMANENCE.

Some of you might not agree, but I find cosplay a fad--something that will be lost in due time.  If you want to argue, then first give me a famous cosplayer's name back from the 70s, 80s and 90s.  No, don't give me that Alodia shit; she only got famous after being featured in TV, and even in those conditions, only a few outside the anime and manga world and from the Philippines actually recognize her.  And she's even from the 2000s!

In contrast, graphic novels or manga had  a more lasting 'legacy'.  I'll give you 'Gundam' (1979), 'Akira' (1982) and 'Ghost in the Shell' (1989) as examples to prove my point.  If you still aren't convinced, try Marvel and DC Comics.

I am not a fan of things that go away easily, fading into ones memory as time passed by.  I am more into permanent 'legacies', something that will be remembered as time goes by.  That's why I believe COSPLAY IS SHIT compared to making 'manga' or graphic novels.  Call me a 'Purist', 'Demon', 'Racist', 'Idiot' or anything you want, my opinion would never change.

And did I just say opinion?  Yes, it's my own opinion and it may be true or false depending on your experience.  I was just saying my sentiments.  Feel free to argue, but if I don't bite your argument then I think I am entitled to that.  It doesn't make you more inteliigent than I am nor me over you.

Finally, for the last words, even though I think cosplay is crap especially in the Philippines, I don't advocate removing it completely in the events scene.  My point is, I just want others to realize that Cosplay would fade as fast as your short-term memories are, SO INVEST IN THINGS THAT REMAIN PERMANENT.  Another thing is, please give other aspects of an event more time, energy and effort--not everyone is a cosplayer or wanted to be in the spotlight.  

And to my friends, please stop comparing Cosplay from Literature, because no matter how hard or devoted one works at cosplay, it will all fade in one's memory at the press of the 'DELETE' button.

No comments:

Post a Comment